Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Informational Text Explains it All!


You would never know it by looking at me, but I am such a huge nerd! I love reading nonfiction, informational text, anything that explains to me all the nerdy details of how things are made, used, and perceived.

As you may have heard, kids are not reading enough informational text, or at least they are not reading it with their critical thinking caps on. We need to expose them to it more! Plus, we need to get them actively involved with it.

Being the huge nerd that I am, I started researching ice cream. I make ice cream and I love eating ice cream, so why not? I found about 20 million pages of internet info explaining ice cream. You don't want to just unleash your students into this internet search. TMI! (Too much information!) So, I wrote a one page informational text on the science behind ice cream. Then, I made a couple of activities to go with it that will get students engaged with the text with their critical thinking caps on.

Students read the informational text, "The Science Behind Ice Cream," fill out a graphic organizer using new vocabulary, and then fill in the blanks of an informative narrative. They also learn how to make their own ice cream in a bag.

Students read the informative text and learn that ice cream is an emulsion and a foam and that it must be frozen at just the right time to lock in those properties. Then, they fill out the following graphic organizer. Just like ice cream, it is not as easy at it looks.


Here is the full lesson complete with the informational text, graphic organizer, and the informative narrative that they fill in.

Looking for High-Interest ENGAGING READING for your students? WANT TO HAVE THEM PRACTICE ALL 10 READING INFORMATIONAL TEXT STANDARDS? Students keep reporting how much they LOVE the texts!!! TRY BOTH VOLUMES:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...