Sunday, November 4, 2018

FREE Writing & Language Lesson #3: Bragging & Boasting Using Similes & Hyperbole

bragging and boasting using similes and hyperbole

This is a fun lesson in which you give students permission to write some fake news about themselves using similes and hyperbole. They are going to write about something they are good at and make it sound as if they are great at it -- like the world's best at it.

Here is an example of what a final product looks like:

                I am so good at rollerblading. When I rollerblade, crowds of people gather around just to see my impressive skills. You can hear people getting on their cell phones to say, “Dude, you gotta get over here and see the most amazing rollerblader I have ever seen!” People beg me for my autograph like I am a movie star or something. I am so fast, it is as if there are engines in each one of my rollerblades. I am like a jet. I even had a race with a sports car one time and I won - easily. Not only am I fast, but I can do awesome tricks. I can jump over just about any obstacle: cars, mailboxes, people, you name it. I once jumped over a tree! And flips are no problem. I make flips look so easy, it is like I am coin being tossed in the air during a coin toss. I jump up so high and do about 15 flips on the way down. And don’t even get me started on how many laps I can do at the roller rink. I can do about 1,000 laps around the roller rink in one minute. I truly am the best rollerblader on the entire planet!

This type of writing is the explanatory/informative writing called for in the Common Core State Standards and just about everywhere actually. So, it's silly, but silly writing is the basis for all those TV shows we love, right?

So, if you want the free printable that guides them through this lesson and helps them get their writing down on paper, you can get it here.


WANT ENGAGING NONFICTION READING FOR YOUR STUDENTS? WANT TO HAVE THEM PRACTICE ALL 10 READING INFORMATIONAL TEXT STANDARDS SKILLS? STUDENTS KEEP REPORTING HOW MUCH THEY LOVE THE TEXTS!!! TRY BOTH VOLUMES:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...